Thursday, February 2, 2017

Climate Change


"Christ wears 'two shoes' in the world: Scripture and nature. Both are necessary to understand the Lord, and at no stage can creation be seen as a separation of things from God."
~ John Scotus Eriugena



I have no magic words to convince people - if the weight of data, and the preponderance of scientific understanding and declamation have no impact, what then of my inadequate oratory? I can only testify as to my concerns.

Like many Americans, I come from farmers. How will climate instability affect our ability to feed and sustain our growing population? I was once an archaeologist, and have seen the evidence of population collapse when the land's carrying capacity was surpassed. I not long ago retired as a civil servant, planner, and environmentalist. How will our environment change when plant communities and ecosystems can not move or adapt as quickly as the climate morphs? How will we react to being exposed to new pathogens? How will we address water shortages and resource wars?


I have heard some say that they do not "believe" in climate change, as if it were an act of faith rather than observation. Well then:


"If one bets that God does exist, and he does, you win 'everything', to lose - you lose nothing. Should one bet that God does not exist - and win, you win nothing, but to lose? You lose 'everything'". Blaise Pascal

Wouldn't this common sense logic also apply to Climate Change "faith"?



(photography by tiwago)

No comments: